Rising to meet the ambition set out by our global climate commitments demands accelerated actions and commitments between all actors across our society: states, cities, businesses, universities, faith groups, and more. These sum-of-society actors have incredible leverage to impact the trajectory of greenhouse gas emissions, innovate across our economy, and accelerate the speed of the global clean energy transition. Our research demonstrates that these actors from diverse sets when acting in concert can drive a similar impact as national governments in reaching our climate targets.
In the U.S., a coalition of over 3,600 cities, states, businesses, universities, communities of faith, and others have pledged their commitment to support the goals of the Paris Agreement in their own capacities -- representing more than half of the U.S. population (173 million people) and nearly 60% of U.S. GDP ($11.4 trillion). If this coalition were a country, it would be the world’s third largest economy and the world’s fourth largest GHG emitter. And this coalition is only growing. CGS is taking a leadership role in research to advance collaborative, innovative climate action and policy through the third installation of its America’s Pledge: expanding our unique research and analysis, strategic engagement and communications to inform the U.S. strategy leading up to 2030.
- America’s Pledge: CGS co-leads the America’s Pledge analysis team with the Rocky Mountain Institute. The most recent report - Fulfilling America’s Pledge - launched ahead of the 2018 Global Climate Action Summit aggregates the commitments of these subnational actors, characterizes new and feasible pathways to rapidly raise ambition, and estimates the overall impact of such actions on the overall US emissions trajectory.
- Bloomberg Announces $2.3 Million to CGS, Partners for New Phase of “America’s Pledge”
- Green tech startups see boost in patents and investment when partnering with government - study
- CGS co-leads research on America's Pledge initiative
- CGS Director Nathan Hultman Provides Testimony for Hearing on Environment and Climate Change
- CGS receives grant for work with America's Pledge on analysis of US climate policy opportunities